Friday, October 10, 2014

Sixpoint Sensi Harvest Ale





  
     Sixpoint Brewery; Brooklyn, New York.  When one thinks of a harvest ale usually intensely fresh hop flavors come to mind.  The freshness stems from the wet hopping these ales undergo.  This is simply using hops harvested right off the vines as soon after maturity as possible.  The hops undergo no processing whatsoever.  So time is of the essence with this practice.  They should also be consumed as soon as possible to ensure the best flavors and aromas.
     With that being said, let's see what Sixpoint has to offer to this category.  Sensi pours a light golden amber color with thick white head. Many of the bubbles were quite large.  After being in my glass for only a minute or two the head dissipated rather quickly.  Not much lacing on the glass afterwords.  Seems to have quite a bit of carbonation at the onset.  I noticed though that half way through my glass this one went almost flat for some reason.
     As far as the taste goes, this one is pretty much all hops as expected.   Nothing much on the malt end to speak of.  Even though this is the case it's not overly bitter at all.  Sensi is considered a pale ale, yet I have definitely had pale ales that are more bitter than this one.  So the usual citrusy and grassy floral notes are found here.  I also feel like it smelled fresher than it actually tasted.  The body was also very light.  This one could also be considered a session ale, as the ABV only clocks in at 4.7.
     I really don't have much more to say about this ale.  I kind of expected more out of Sensi considering how much I like other offerings from Sixpoint such as Resin and Bengali Tiger.  Both of which I would pick up any day over this one.  The one thing I can say is that it's very easy to drink.  To be honest, I feel like this could have been a lot better.  It feels like there's something missing.  It's not that it's undrinkable, there just should have been way more flavor for this style.  If you want a good example of a wet-hopped harvest ale, my choice would still have to be Northern Hemisphere Harvest by Sierra Nevada.  That is to me what a wet hopped ale should taste like.


American Harvest Pale Ale

Seasonal Availability

4.7% ABV 50 IBU

Style: 6/10

Personal Rating: 6.5/10      

No comments:

Post a Comment