Corks vs. Screw Caps
Screw Caps and Cork Alternatives
Cork Alternatives: Pros
- More Affordable Option
- No TCA ‘Cork’ Taint
- Longterm aging studies have shown positive results
- Screwcaps are easy to open
Cork Alternatives: Cons
- Some cork alternatives don’t breathe
- Mostly Made From Non-Renewable Resources
- Recyclable but Not Biodegradable
- Variable Manufacturing Quality
- Associated with ‘Cheap’ Wine
But aren’t corks better because they ‘breath’?
Are you saying that screwcaps are better than corks?
Not at all, although for most applications cork alternatives are better simply because of the quality for the price. I challenge you the next time you buy an affordable wine at the grocery; more often than not it won’t be a 100% natural cork. Instead the bottle will be closed with a technical, agglomerated and colmated cork, which are low quality alternatives to natural cork. These sub-par products are also just as unreliable with their likeliness to cause cork taint.